Sunday, 10 June 2007

Prego!

Now, you’re going to get the impression that all I’m really doing this year is buying time between extravagant trips to exotic destinations: Prague & Paris for Christmas, Thailand in March, and now I’ve just returned from a week in Italy. Yes, Italy – six days in a villa in a quiet, vineyard and orchard-graced countryside, and two days in the marvelous city of Rome.

Ok, so it is glamorous and perhaps a bit extravagant. But hey, when else in life do you have a two-week holiday every two months and with most of the world only a plane trip away, and siblings that can talk you into joining them anywhere “for the sake of family” – how can one resist? What a lucky kid I am. I am.

But it’s not all beaches, facials, beautiful cities, gelato and fine food this year I tell you. You must believe that the other 8 weeks of the bargain make the 2 weeks of indulgence well-justified. I had intended to write an entry in May giving you “a day in the life” for me in Juba. But alas, the days in my life there do not often afford time for such things and May was missed.

So for the time being – let me tell tales of lovely adventures in Europe, and we’ll get back to the realities of Sudan later.

Italia! Delightful.

Let me not burden you with words, but instead provide you with one of those children’s easy-to-read books where the pictures fill in the words.

Once upon a time there where 4 happy siblings who decided to go on a holiday in Italy.

The big (and wise) sister, knowing that the big brother and little sister would be weary from their hard work in far-away Africa booked a villa for the 4 travelers to rest their weary heads.

The villa was in the province of Umbria, a beautiful place that looks like this,

And this,

For the first few days, they did nothing but rest. Lots of this,

And this,

And this,

Now and then, they would run out of food and make a long walk into the nearest village,

To buy fantastic Italian food that looked like this,

And this,

And this,

And this,

Eventually, they decided that perhaps they should broaden their horizons and so they ventured off to the nearby cities to explore narrow streets,

Eat as much gelato as they could get away with each day,

Admire beautiful sites,

And ponder the lives of those who were in these places long ago.

Like St. Francis of Assisi who traveled these roads,

And wished peace and goodwill for this country.

When their time expired at the beautiful villa, the 4 rested siblings, decided to venture even further to the big city of Rome. They had heard great things of this renowned place and wanted to see it with their own eyes.

Here their eyes took in beautiful architecture,

And much ancient history.

They could not pass up the chance to visit a new country (to add to their list) while they were nearby, and so of course, they stopped in to visit Vatican City.

To their regret, they did not chance to see the pope, but they did visit some of the remarkable possessions within his city walls.

And their eyes took in more breathtaking artistry,

And ancient history.

And they couldn’t help but write home about it.

After all this, the siblings parted ways, sad to be divided, but content from the rich rest, fantastic food, superb sites and beneficial bonding time.

The End

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kendrah,

Long time, but it seems you are having a blast travelling around the globe. Love your pictures, you should post more about your work in Juba, with pictures. I so love Sudan and Kenya and wish I was right there.

ps. we were all wondering where you've been, remember YIP 2005 crew? We have facebook account with loads of pictures added every months. here is the link, come and join us so we can talk more often:

http://www.facebook.com/login.php

Huda

Steve and Laura Walker said...

That was a beautiful story and the illustrations were particularily lovely! I do not doubt your work in Sudan and Kenya is hot, tough, and long! You deserve every adventure! Keep up the globe trotting and the updates...its like reading a great novel that takes you there with it and makes you forget your own waunder lust for a moment or two!
Laura Grant.**
laurasdiscovery@yahoo.com
www.xanga.com/laura_spring

Unknown said...

I just looooooove Italy... great to see those pictures!

hawgie said...

i feel ashamed at my own blog after reading yours :) so glad that you got to get away with your family and have a much deserved R&R. keep in touch! keep writing; i'll keep reading!

Unknown said...

Hi, Kendrah. I don't know if you still remember me, but I'm GUnay from Azerbaijan. If you remember, I did the translation at press-conference when you worked for AzCBL. I haven't been writing to u, but be sure I've read all your letters and now I really enjoy ur blog. It's wonderful how u keep writing such interesting adventures of ur life almost every month. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation. And the pictures are very interesting. Have fun and enjoy your hard work in Africa.

Yours,

Gunay

EKO said...

Hi! I am, as others it seems, not a good writer, but I'll try to improve! When did you go to Italy? Me and Jonatan went there May 11-19. His parents have a house in Tuscany, and we, too, spent the last weekend in Rome! I loved it. Especially Tuscany! So calm and beautiful... I feel I would be a better person if I lived there.

Take care! /elin

Kendrah said...

Oh! - this is so delightful! I hear from all sorts of people I don't regularly hear from. Hodan - I will certainly post some Sudan pics soon. Laura - you've been indulging your wanderlust not so long ago yourself - sounds like you had an excellent journey. Floor! - I miss you. Will you come visit me? Erin. You KNOW you want to come back - if not for the joy of Sudan, for the joy of such R&Rs! Gunay - it's so great to hear from you. Of course I remember you! I hope all is well in Baku. Elin - it's too bad we missed eachother in Italy. I didn't arrive until the end of May. - It is so beautiful, isn't it? Keep in touch everyone. I'm always excited to find a comment on the blog. Makes me feel happy and loved. :)

Mart'a said...

Hi Kendrah, happy to see you writing again! It is great you get to travel to so many place along the way and meet your family.
How is Juba?
Martina

Leah said...

Hi Kendrah!
We loved your story and the wonderful pictures. Italy looks so beautiful and amazing, and it was great to see your happy faces. Actually I've read the 'story' about 5 times now! Sending you big hugs and lots of love from me and R.

Unknown said...

My dear dear Kendrah.
Oh how you inspire me!!! I am in the final chaoitc stagfes of preparing to go. I will be leaving Oct 10th arriving in Nairobi Oct 12th heading straight to Moshi to do Kilimenjaro with Janeen and my friend Todd. We then have to be back in Nairobi to fly to Naimbia oct 27th where we will be until April 18th and then back to Nairobi with semi plans but an openish schedule until i leave May 7th. What are you plans for the next 7 months?
Love Lauren

i don't know if i ever told you Gabby goes to my church and we iften talk of you!