Sunday, 18 November 2007

Maintaining Sanity Part 2

Solution #6: Arthropod Photography. Ok, this one is my own personal, slightly obscure hobby. But my camera does take lovely micro shots, and there are so many fascinating bugs here. And I WAS after all a “naturalist” for two summers. A few of my specimens:

This is a truly amazing spider. It sews this white zig-zag
down it's web, and with it's stripy legs and solid silver back,
it's quite striking. And by the way, it's huge, and a bit
camera shy. I tried not to anger it.


This is one of my absolute favourites. Reminds me of something
you might win at a carnival - or like a furry crab.


This one is just pretty.


This one was a major photography challenge. I had to
risk my life to get this close to this spider which is about the
size of the palm of my hand. My colleages were squealing through
the window of the office. If you look close, you can see one concerned
head through the window. One morning when we came into the
office she was no longer on her web. Thankfully she has not appeared
under anyone's chair. I don't think she's friendly.


Amazing camoflauge.


Way cool.


Solution #7: Find the Funniest Signage Photo Scavenger Hunts. I’ll let the signs of Juba speak for themselves.


"Welcome to Juba, the Land of Peace and Love. "
Wow - where else in the world could I possibly desire to live?






Complicated. Might I suggest: "Please Flush"


Now this one is clear and simple: "Armed Conflict is a
Health Risk" - I love it!


Solution #8: Go out for Dinner. This one is obvious and lacks creativity, but I’d just like to point out that Juba now has Indian, Ethiopian, Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian and Sudanese restaurant options. This is a great evolution from the meager “hanging goat-leg restaurant” that we frequented but one year ago. (we’re hoping HQ doesn’t confiscate our R&R upon learning of this – at such points I like to remind them that I bathed in a pitiful splash of river water today, worked 13-16 hours most days this week, and had to remove a frog from my bedroom before going to bed last night).


Solution #9: Spa Night. This one has produced very satisfying results. Deep-cleansing facials, removing weeks of dirt from our feet, listening to mellow music in a candle-lit room, eating delicious pumpkin curry and watching Pride & Prejudice. Need I mention that this was a “girls night”?



Solution #10: Market Excursion. Immerse oneself in bright colours, interesting and at times offensive smells, blaring gospel music from lousy sound systems, and sweaty bodies to see what’s newly available on the market and if you can find an apple for less than the Sudanese Pound equivalent of a dollar.

When you see a big huddle of women like this you know
someone has just brought in a new bale of used clothing.
Get there quick for the best finds.





Solution #11: Find Someone Richer & Better-Equipped than Yourself to Mooch off of. We happen to have a friend who works for the Norwegian Consulate, which happens to have a new residential compound, which happens to have a big, beautiful swimming pool, which our generous Norwegian friend happened to invite us over to enjoy one day. It was like a dream…



Solution #12: Make the effort to actually be social with people you don’t work or live with and go out for a real actual “Social Event”. Ok…I say this tongue in cheek, because I’ve discovered I’m a bit lazy when it comes to being socially outgoing. But there are now options in Juba if one wanted to be on the “social scene”. Options includ salsa dancing on Wednesday nights, the weekly “Hash” (a walk/run event), Rugby night, Volleyball tournaments and the occasional big party.

This is me as a cat. It was a Halloween Party.

Solution #13: Gardening. It’s a delightful place to watch things grow when seeds literally sprout over night, and your compost accidentally turns into a mango tree or a massive pumpkin plant that you utilize at Thanksgiving. Did you notice my little avocado tree featured in the "Art Afternoon" photos? His name is Alvin. But don’t place too much hope in a spec in the soil. Life is also cruel in Sudan – drought, flood, plagues of pests and scorching sunlight can all strike your little plantlets dead with little warning – even if you lovingly coddle them in a pot on your window sill.


Solution #14: Be anti-social. I have a lot of interaction with a lot of people, all day long. I live with the same people I work with. It’s a multicultural group, and we face a great number of challenges and frustrations together, and things are not always rosy. At times, one simply needs a chance to be alone. Go home. Read your book. Watch a DVD alone. Cook yourself a meal.

Solution #15: Take a nap. See Toby knows best.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, those signs are hilarious. Reminds me of a weird one I saw once in Edmonton: "High collision location - strictly enforced." Who writes these things?!

Anyways, it was great to read up on how you're doing... I'll keep checking in for sure!

Sending love,

Alice

Unknown said...

Great post my dear! Nice to see you back on here. Inspires me to get back on the blogger bandwagon. You should be in BC by now - hope you're enjoying a cup of tea under a blanket, doing some painting and watching the water. xx

Andy said...

I hope you completed your jounrey ok. The hours fly by in the comfort of ethiopian airways. No pun intended but perhaps a little irony. London is cold and wet, home sweet home. Good blog, good pics.

Kendrah said...

Andy - glad you found the site. Thanks for the excellent company for the journey - was a pleasure meeting you mid-air.