Wednesday, 23 January 2008

How I Spent My Christmas Holidays

I remember when I was 8 and went back to school after the holidays.

“Back to school! Looking so cool!” …the ring of that inspirational Bata shoe store jingle from Pakistan motivates me to this day. And infact I do have cool new sandals for my return to work.

The first assignment when I got back to school was to write about what I did on my holiday.

I got back to Juba two weeks ago and have been waiting for the internet connection to be well-behaved enough to post my "report" ever since. Home, sweet dusty, sweaty, sweltering, chaotic home. Aahh…it’s good to be back. Here’s my photo report on how I spent my holidays:

On my Christmas holidays I….

…Enjoyed the beauty of British Columbia

Long walks by the sea-side





Kayaking on the lake where my parents live



Hiking in the enchanted forest across the lake





Admiring stunning views from the kitchen window



….Engaged in cold snowy Canadian winter activities in Alberta

Sledding



Cross Country Skiing








Watching other people skate (unfortunately I never got a chance to do it myself)




Lying in the snow and tasting the sparkles or gazing up at the winter sky







Sitting in a sweltering sauna and then running out into the icy snow



Trudging through the snow-laden forest – and coming home sparkly.




Enjoying the cozy feeling that Christmas lights and a snowy world provides.




…Took care of business left unattended for a year while I hid from it in Sudan

Taxes, banking, a doctor’s appointment, a dental appointment, an eye exam, a hair cut, shopping, sorting through 1 year of mail…

No photos for this section as this is all dreadfully boring, except – I bought some new glasses. I went glamorous and chose some slightly cat-eyed frames with rhinestones! Yes…rhinestones. Not usually me, but I thought I’d have a little fun. Here’s me being silly and vain while trying to capture a decent photo of my new specs.



Oh yeah, and check out the new haircut. ;)


…Took part in a few cultural events unavailable in Juba

Went to a movie in theatre, a free concert by Ann Vriend and fireworks on New Year’s Eve in Edmonton’s city square.




…Had lots of bonding time with my ma & pa, grandparents, cousins, aunts & uncles, and caught up with lots of old friends




Typical Ford family photos

....And got well rested and rejuvinated for all the work and fun that has awaited me in a far away land, in a whole different world, with a whole different climate. In another place I call home.

2 comments:

Lialaga said...

Did you take the first photo under "Hiking in the enchanted forest across the lake" ? It's amazing!

Kendrah said...

I did. Thanks. And the enchanted forest is amazing. I could use a walk there right now...