Yesterday I lived my first full day in Belgium. My sleep deprived, time-confused body woke before dawn and my spirit prayed for a blessing on my new life. I opened the windows of my temporary room above the office; my 'princess room' at the top of the tower of 6 flights of steep narrow stairs and admired my new neighbourhood in the light of morning.
I donned my new look for European winter (good riddance puffy coat & touque!): my blue Egyptian scarf and my black felt coat on loan from my ever-more-stylish sister. I walked and walked city streets, below narrow houses with balconies and grand windows, between designer stores and enticing coffee shops in the company of a past friend and housemate, and future friend and colleague. I bought an umbrella, a sim card, a metro card and a French phrase book: equipped for my new environment.
I met friends of friends and was welcomed into their kitchen to help them prepare for a great birthday feast. I made the birthday cake: a moist lemon almond. I created cheesy stuffed mushrooms. I broke a wine glass in my hand in the dish pan and sliced my finger, gushing blood into the dish water. I whipped a giant bowl of whipped cream and managed to whip my hand as well. I decorated the baked cake with 40 candles and created a pyramid of brownies. I constructed mini Pavlovas: sweet macaroon mounds graced with fresh whipped cream and robust raspberries. I met dozens of friends of friends, dressed in party clothes and mingling in a room with high painted ceilings with decorative mouldings. I met violin makers and journalists and translaters and fellow humanitarian workers, from Australia, Britain, Columbia and the Netherlands. I was befriended and tried to befriend. With my more-salient-than-ever North American accent and my never-cared-that-much fashion sense, I was brave and gregarious, and attempted to be lovely and eloquent. I may not have succeeded perfectly (somehow I still feel a shy 12-year-old). I felt a part of a lovely environment, a gracious community, yet not quite a part, a little afraid I don't quite belong, but with a pinch of hope I might with time.
And thus passed the first day of my life in Belgium.
3 comments:
Ah my dear...what a lovely little piece of prose. Be reminded that you are not alone in your struggling, hoping, muddled feelings of belonging. It is simply a fact of life for us. We have chameleon blood in us - the ability to watch intently and blend in or out depending on the circumstances. You are going to be just fine. Wishing you the best of day 2's! Much love, H.
Can you change your settings to allow anonymous comments so that Luwam can stop pestering me to send comments on her behalf?!?! :) See below...forwarded from Luwam.
Hey Kendra,
Quite a busy first day you had! I'm quite impressed that you managed to stay awake throughout the whole day of activities...or did you? I'll have you know that we had a couple of not so cold days last week. Although it seems so long ago now that the temp is back to being -29c. Wishing you all the best as you get started on a new chapter of your adventure!
Luwam
looking at your photos brings back some happy memories of brussels...plus i have a few of the exact same shots as you do; after all what would brussels be without mannekin pis? (He was dressed up as a chef when i was there...once upon a MAC internship-ago)
happy to see that you're still moving about - makes me very jealous and itchy to get up and leave..IF only school would let me :(
lots of cold greetings from canada
xoxo
Post a Comment