Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Spring is an Excellent Thing


Raindrops on daffodils and chocolate on waffles,
Green buds on trees help me when I feel awful,
Bicycle tires that are filled up with air,
To the wonder of spring, there's not much can compare!

Baguettes, fine cheese and good drinks on a terrace,
Dreaming about taking a weekend in Paris,
Swans swim on lakes and small birds in trees sing,
'Tis that magical time of the year that's called Spring!



Yes...there are certain times in life when one just can’t help but burst into one’s own heartfelt rendition of the Sound of Music….because the hills/daffodils/forests/rivers really are “alive with the sound of music” and my heart really does want to sing. :)

(For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about - I do pity you deeply – promptly get yourself a copy of the incomparable musical classic: the Sound of Music, and then get yourself out to a forest or lake or some little piece of God’s earthly wonders.)



And just what, you might ask, has inspired this outburst of spring-time joy? Well…having lived in Sudan for the past 2 ½ years where the only seasons are “really hot and really dry” and “really hot and really wet”, it’s been 3 years since I’ve actually experienced a proper spring. And having since survived a very very cold portion of winter in Canada with temperatures lingering unreasonably long near -40C, and then enduring the remainder of winter Western-European-style, with lots of shades of grey and puddles and discarded crippled umbrellas, I’m now very excited to wake up to sunshine pouring in my window, and feel the warmth of the sun on my face once again in the late afternoon. Add to that the magic of little green shoots popping out of the earth and lifting up happy yellow faces to the sky…the joyful beauty of spring birdsong...or a vague tint of unadulterated green dusting the tips of trees, and becoming stronger and greener each day until delicate new leaves emerge and start digesting sunshine and exhaling oxygen...

I’m amazed. Continually.

1 comment:

Mart'a said...

Actually even living in Europe for the past few years, I still seem to be missing spring so much. It is about to start here in Kyiv and I can't wait.
I just miss the possibility to get out to nature to hear the Sound of Music. :o)
Btw, last year I visited Brussels and Brugge and have seen the garden with daffodils... I love that place and the waffles! :o))