
Somehow it did not register until I was mid-air exactly how far accross the world I was being transported - add to that the fact that Ethiopian airlines forgot to mention stops in 2 additional countries en-route, taking me from Sudan to Uganda to Ethiopia to Thailand to China on a 24-hour long journey all stops included. Uggh. BUT...of course, it was all worth it to be embraced by my sweet sister and beloved brother-in-law, and to ride with them at the front window on the top story of an aged tram through the warm night air of a lively new city, knowing I was beginning a period of rest and relaxation, far far from all my woes and worries in Sudan.

At the moment, I'm stuck in Hong Kong, delayed a day due to a pre-Olympic change in visa regulations. Fingers are crossed that I will receive my visa today in an hour, and hop on a train to Guanzhou, to be reunited with my sister and her husband at their place there. They had to return last night so they could work today, so I have the day on my own.
I feel like such a bush-dweller coming from Sudan to a place like this. Everything is amazing and enticing.

My first day in Hong Kong was filled with walking walking walking on hard hard concrete throughout the city (which my feet loudly complain they are unacostomed to), shopping, eating, and wide-eyed at all the big city wonders.
Havilah & Scott on a random shopping side-street
(this one featuring feather boas, masks & wigs, as well as artificial
bums & a plethora of other costume materials)
Exploring a candy & snack shop. So many delights.
Yum! Yes - these two are "duck tongue" and "chicken feet".
Mmmmm...when I get the munchies, I'll know what to do.
Speaking of ducks...
It was all a bit of a stimulation overload post-Sudan, so this morning, to balance it out, I spent the morning hiking up the mountain to the rich green forested above the city. I had a beautiful hike through lush greenery, past elderly folk doing their Tai-Chi and morning exercises on the special "playground equipment" for the elderly installed along the path. I passed a man playing a wooden flute out of what appeared to be the sheer pleasure of being with nature, a group of school children in their blue-striped uniform shorts with their Hello Kitty shoulder bags, and Philipino housekeepers out walking their employers dogs. It was all quite lovely and serene.
Beauty along the path.
After an hour, I reached the peak for some great views of the city and the harbour...and what do I find?? A shopping mall... and so I ate some ice cream and browsed the shops...might as well embrace the commercialism while I have it if it can't be avoided. ;)
It's time to go commune with the city once more and see if I will be relocating to mainland China today.
3 comments:
i really hope you get your visa! i'm a little worried now with all of this visa business... i've long been planning to visit misha in august, but if they continue to make it more and more difficult to acquire a visa, then it may just not happen. :(
I hope your visa came through! I'm definitely NOT going to be showing Mama Duck those photos, though! She has just recently wandered back into the compound from a brief stint outside. Did she find a Papa Duck?! Only time will tell...
Have a wonderful relaxing holiday and embrace some commercialism for me, too!
Tanya
Mama Duck is back??!! That makes me so happy. Warms my heart. Thanks for the wonderful news. I hope we will soon see the baby ducks again!
Post a Comment